Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Brett Favre Determined to Die on Field

Minneapolis (AP)--Looking back on Monday night, Brett Favre called it "a minor setback, just a bump in the road."  Maybe, but time is running out for the grizzly veteran to fulfill a dream.  For the past year, Favre has tried over and over again to leave it all out there on the field--literally. 

"I've had some meetings with my agent and marketing team," said Favre from his Minneapolis home this morning.  "We think the only way for me to get even more attention than I'm getting right now is for me to die on the field.  The whole 'retire/come back' thing has run its course.  Gotta step my game up.  My family supports my decision--hell, my wife is all for it." 

Those that have been following the Favre saga surely know of the sexting scandal that has followed Favre the past few months.  Favre's wife, Deanna, has stood by her man thus far, but will it last?  "Deanna's hilarious.  She joked that if I didn't die in the next two games that she was gonna do it for me.  We actually workshopped that idea with my marketing team.  Being murdered by Deanna would get almost as much attention, but dying on the field is still my number one option," explained Favre.  He almost got his wish on Monday.

"I wasn't even supposed to play in that game," said Favre.  "But as soon as I heard about the field conditions, I had to get out there.  A rock solid field, a tough defense, an already banged up body--are you serious?  Those are the perfect elements for what I'm trying to do."  Early in the game, Chicago Bear Corey Wooten delivered a seemingly killer hit on Favre. "For a second there, I thought that sum bitch from Chicago had me," said Favre. Favre's marketing team and others in his players box were holding their breath, hoping that this was it.  "I remember looking over at his agent and these other guys, and they're sitting Indian style with their fingers crossed.  I just had to laugh," recalled Deanna. "But he eventually got up.  Everyone in the box was crushed."  None more than Favre himself.  "When I started hearing the voices of my teammates and coaches, I knew I was alive.  I'll tell ya, it was a terrible feeling.  I decided to milk it a little to see how it would've played had I died," said Favre, smiling.  "I think it's gonna be a huge success if I'm able to pull this thing off." 

Only two games remain for Favre this year, and he feels close to reaching his goal.  "My body is shot.  I've got broken ribs, a ruptured spleen that I'm not taking care of properly, a whole in my heart, and some other things.  One more hit should do it."  What does he expect if he's able to expire on the field?  "I think about it every night man.  I'm tired of just being on SportsCenter.  I want to lead off the national news, be on the cover of every paper..." his voice trails off.  "Just think of the headline: 'NFL legend's heart explodes on field, nation weeps.'  I'm so close--just gotta finish.  Keep me in your prayers."  We will Brett.  We will.

No comments:

Post a Comment