Friday, January 7, 2011

Great Moments in Gambling History

I'll assume that most of you are not degenerates, and that you have no idea who Dan Mahowny is.  For those that do, you know nothing beats the rush of placing a wager on some sports action.  And absolutely nothing beats the feeling of a lost bet becoming a winner in an instant.  Since I haven't seen most of you at my GA meetings, I'll explain this nice and slow.  Last night, the Oklahoma City Thunder took on the Dallas Mavericks on TNT .  With nothing else on TV except the GoDaddy Bowl, I decided to tune in to some NBA hoops and place a wager on....the Over (192.5) of course. For you novices, that means that I needed the total points scored by both teams to be greater than 192.5.  193 would work just fine.  With about 25 seconds left, Oklahoma City was up  99-92, and Dallas had the ball (that's 191 points folk--just need a basket).  OKC wasn't playing much defense as they were just making sure Dallas didn't jack up any uncontested threes.  Layups were welcome.  Dallas saw this and decided to get a quick two points.  Well, some kook on the Mavericks channeled David Wesley and totally bricked the layup. The rebound went to OKC with 16 seconds to go.  Shot clock off + Dallas coach screaming "no fouls"= Disaster for over-backers.  Kevin Durant had the ball and was just dribbling out the clock as I cursed that Maverick idiot for missing such an easy deuce.  With still only 191 points on the board, the best was lost.  Until one of the strangest things I've ever seen in my gambling life happened....





I think Carlisle tries to strip Durant at the :07 mark of the video.  That's great defense coach.  That sly move coupled with a whisper to Durant convinced KD to hand over the ball.  Going the other way--Dallas ball.  An invisible three-pointer later, and I'm dancing around my apartment with a winning ticket in my hand.

Thank you Kevin Durant, and thank you Rick Carlisle.  Oh, and a big thank you to whoever hit that three for Dallas while TNT showed the replay of Durant's handoff to Carlisle.  Gotta feel for those under-backers;)

3 comments:

  1. Now I am all for some Thursday night hoops, but the mighty mighty Red Hawks of ol' mother Miami were in the prestigious "wtf" bowl against the national powerhouse from the Sun Belt. Now that is a good watch. Love and honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an aside, hit that over as well in the GoDaddy bowl. How Miami scored 35 points will baffle me for years, but I'm sure glad they did.

    ReplyDelete