Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Spice Engaged! This is not Newsworthy!

Sir Cowell can't believe you would suggest a t-shirt

I have now seen this story on 4 different "news" websites, heard it on three radio stations and written about it once (counting this time writing about it). Emma Bunton of Spice Girls fame is engaged to a guy she had a kid with 3 years ago. Please file this earth-shattering news under "Caring: I could do no less."

And this is the part where you people, or should I say sheeple, drop down on me with force yelling: "Bird, by writing about it you are only furthering it as a story and validating it as news." I have a two-pronged response to your clever attack: 1) Nobody reads this site so my actions really have very little influence on the world; and 2) I don't care, Baby Spice was always my favorite.

On a serious note, it is quite incredible that 5 relatively average looking British women hand-picked by Simon Cowell 17 years ago (no sexual favors there, I'm sure) have had such a lasting impact on our culture. It's always the stupid shit that sticks with us, not the dynamite stuff like hypercolor clothing or koosh balls.

1 comment: